Homemade Limongello a la Sanzero Recipe
From correspondend Sandy Sanzero, his own invention
Lemon Extract Preparation:
- Peel 9 large lemons.
Use a sharp peeler and remove only the yellow rind with no underlying pith. Use a sharp knife to remove any pith that has been accidently lifted. This is a very important step since the pith will impart a bitter taste to the product.
- Place the thin (~ 1mm thick) lemon peels into a container and add 1 bottle (750 ml) of grain alcohol- 95%/190 proof Everclear.
- Shake the container at least once per day for 7 days.
- Filter the extract through a coarse filter such as a coffee filter.
Filter twice if necessary to produce a clear yellow extract devoid of any sediment.
- Add 2 parts of sugar to 1 part of water (by volume) to a saucepan.
- Bring to a rolling boil for 5 minutes.
Necessary to boil in order to clarify the syrup solution (bring it all into solution).
- Allow the syrup to cool to room temperature.
- Add 1 part of lemon extract to 1.5 parts of syrup (by volume) and stir.
If one bottle of Everclear is used, the final product will be 1800 ml.
If a less viscous (less sweet) but more potent product is desired: 1 part extract to 1.25 parts syrup.
- Bottle and place in freezer along with serving glasses for consumption.
measurement (unless stated otherwise)
|1 cup = 8 ounces =
|1 quart = 32 ounces =
|1 tbsp (tablespoon) =
1/2 ounce = 15ml
|1 fifth = 25.6 ounces
|1 tsp (teaspoon) =
1/6 ounce = 5ml
|1 pint = 16 ounces =
Return to liqueurs page
Go back to my main page
Send me mail.