I had the inspiration for the presentation some time during or after ARISIA '01 in January of 2001, and began looking for materials. First, and most importantly, I found the quilted nylon material that would become the suit itself, but not after spending a few months looking for it. I wanted very much to do the suit in red, as Bowman's suit was, but in the end the only colors available were blue, purple and a pastel green. The blue was the best option. The vinyl for the boots and the Pleather® for the gloves was an easy find at a local fabric store, and the craft-foam and silver vinyl that made many of the details were at the same place. I spent a long time looking for the hardware for the wrist and ankle junctions, and eventually found some interesting solutions to the problems. I also spent a long time looking for corrugated black tubing - I finally got some from a manufacturer, but only after Balticon had already passed. And some of the elements, like Velcro® and the colored mirrors we had right here at home. The front and back packs are yellow poster board, yellow duct tape, yellow foam-core (for the backpack), and lots of little, shiny bits to make it seem more realistic.
The first gorilla head was part of a commercial gorilla costume I borrowed from a friend. It was just latex rubber with fake hair glued to it. So for the WorldCon presentation, I made my own gorilla head, using liquid latex molded on a children's mask, coloerd with shoe polish, with fake hair glued to it. It looked no worse than the commercial one, and photographed considerably better.
I had an enormous amount of fun putting this together and presenting it, and, naturally, learned a lot about costuming in the process. Specifically, hot glue and duct tape are your friends, and never forget that your audience is always 20 or more feet away - there's a lot you can get away with. Below are links to pages dealing with the specific sections of the costume and its construction, and the presentation.